Monday, April 29, 2019

To The End Of The Aisle

This is just me but I want to know that I would be missed if I was not where I was supposed to be. Not everyone agrees as you will see in this entry from September 5, 2010.

I did something today that I haven't done in nine or ten years: I filled out an attendance card at worship service. It felt kind of strange and I was not even sure what was included on them anymore. You see, almost a decade ago, I entrusted my attendance card responsibilities to Amber Glenn who was on my middle school basketball team and later would be one of my teacher aides. I knew Amber liked to be helpful and she'd feel like she was watching out for me.The inevitable happened, though, and Amber went off to college. After consulting with the lovely Amber, I offered the position to Chelsey Villarreal, who also played middle school basketball for me and also would serve me as a teacher's aide. The two shared other traits. Both of them have both parents work at WCS and both of them gave up basketball for cheerleading. So much for my coaching influence! But the inevitable happened again and Chelsey several weeks ago moved on to college in Alabama. As the wonderful Chelsey failed to name her successor, I am left to fend for myself. I'm not really worried that the sky will fall in but ..........

I once taught with a guy who was very good in the classroom. When I asked what church he belonged to, he told me never became part of any congregation. His rationale basically came down to this: he did not want to fill out an attendance card so that someone would know if he was there or not for a service.Maybe he didn't want someone looking over his shoulder or checking up on him. He was a good guy who I think tried to follow the Lord but his logic lost me. Being in a church is like being in a family. There's accountability and concern. We call each other brother and sister for a reason and that reason concerns the special relationship we have with other believers. I'm a very private person myself in many ways but I believe we cannot shut ourselves out from those we claim as co-heirs of the kingdom of Heaven. A card is a small thing but it allows us to share not only our presence but prayer requests and good news. That being said, I do have a prayer request that I should have scribbled on the back of my card: does anyone know a middle school girl who can spell my name?

Applicable quote of the day:
“There are many of us that are willing to do great thi
ngs for the Lord, but few of us are willing to do little things.”
Dwight L. Moody



God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

2 comments:

kimmyschemy said...

oh, i really wish you luck on that..

Amber said...

Love it! You're my hero, Coach! :)