Thursday, October 10, 2019

Blest Be The Tie....






It's not long till the time of year for giving and receiving of gifts. My guess is that I will be the recipient of at least one tie this Christmas. Many of my approximately 350  ties have come to me as presents. One in particular has special meaning. This is from April 7, 2009.

Winston was in my eighth grade Bible class when he gave me a tie for Christmas. I have an abundance of ties but I always really liked this one. It was a Perry Ellis number, with navy blue and black alternating stripes. Unlike Dad, the colors I prefer to wear have always been on the conservative side so Winston's present was woven seamlessly into my wardrobe. Now a WCS junior, Winston probably has not thought twice about the gift itself except the times when I have worn it. But in the past year, that tie has become a small part of our family history. You see, when I delivered one of the eulogies at Dad's funeral, I was wearing Winston's tie. Then, four days ago, when I again eulogized a parent at Mom's funeral, Winston's tie graced my neck once more. So now, in every picture and DVD recording of those twin celebrations of life, Winston's influence is visible. He did not mean to do some great deed but in a sense, he did. By honoring me, he eventually honored my parents. Acts of kindness sometimes take on a life of their own. Sometimes, that life includes the honoring of the dead. Winston gave me a tie but I find in that fashion accessory, he gave me something else. He blessed me with another connection to my mother and father.

Applicable quote of the day:
"A well tied tie is the first serious step in life."

Oscar Wilde

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@Hawleybooks.com

No comments: