Thursday, May 02, 2019

Madison's Dolls



Much has happened since I wrote this about Madison in March of 2006! She is now a junior and all grown up and in my Bible classes for a second time. Her selflessness remains timeless.

Madison is a hoot. The soon to be four year old daughter of Mike and Jennifer White, Madison is a student in our pre-kindergarten class at Westbury Christian School. She is blessed with a chubby baby brother, Drew, and wonderful parents. Mike is our Director of Guidance and Jennifer is an elementary teacher in the public schools. One Tuesday night, there was a mishap in the White household. A cup was knocked over that contained pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. Madison asked Jennifer what the money was for and Jennifer explained their family saved change to help an orphanage in Honduras. Madison asked if the people in Honduras were poor and Jennifer told her they were. Her next question was, "Mommy, do the children have backpacks?" Jennifer said no. Madison also asked about clothes and food and Jennifer explained how needy the little ones are. Madison's next inquiry was the one that bothered her the most. "Mommy, do the little girls have Barbies?" Once again, Madison's mother broke the sad news to her daughter. Madison was crushed but she had a plan. "Mommy, I'm going to give them my Barbies!" Jennifer thought that was a terrific idea so this July, I will be transporting Barbie Dolls to some very lucky little girls in Honduras that Madison will never meet.

Yesterday, I passed on my afternoon walk due to the weather, instead spending twenty-plus minutes on my Gazelle exercise machine. I watched television while I got my aerobic workout in. I don't have cable so options are limited. Not much of the programming was worth watching so I jumped around with the remote. I am able to pick up three religious stations, two in English and one in Spanish. As I switched back and forth, both religious networks had the same program showing. The speakers were different races and the formats were not the same but it was the identical message: Send us money and your life will be blessed! Are you in debt? Send a check! Are your finances in a shambles? Call our hot line and make a pledge! The sermons centered on the premise that if you give something to God by giving it to us, you will be prospered financially. The Bible teaches we will be blessed by being generous but I don't believe prosperity is ever given as a reason to serve God or our fellow man. We give because we are obligated for what he has done for us, not as a down
payment on a big payday. Madison had it perfect- we give because it is the right thing to do and to show that the love of the Lord lives in us. Jesus taught that we must become like a little child. I know the perfect role model!


Applicable quote of the day:
"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."
Angela Schwindt


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: